Monday, November 06, 2006

My Hero!

Casey Stengel was a colorful character who managed a number of baseball teams, including the NY Mets from 1934 to 1965.

The Press loved him, because he could always be counted on for great quotes. Here are some of my favorites.

Gotta love a kindred spirit!

Ability is the art of getting credit for all the home runs somebody else hits.

All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose 'em I never knew existed before.

Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in.

Can't anybody here play this game?

Don't cut my throat, I may want to do that later myself.

Don't drink in the hotel bar, that's where I do my drinking.

Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.

I came in here and a fella asked me to have a drink. I said I don't drink. Then another fella said hear you and Joe DiMaggio aren't speaking and I said I'll take that drink.

I don't know if he throws a spitball but he sure spits on the ball.

I don't like them fellas who drive in two runs and let in three.

I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many.

I got players with bad watches - they can't tell midnight from noon.

I was not successful as a ball player, as it was a game of skill.

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.

If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are.

If you're playing baseball and thinking about managing, you're crazy. You'd be better off thinking about being an owner.

If you're so smart, let's see you get out of the Army.

It's high time something was done for the pitchers. They put up the stands and take down fences to make more home runs and plague the pitchers. Let them revive
the spitter and help the pitchers make a living.

It's wonderful to meet so many friends that I didn't used to like.

Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits.

Most ball games are lost, not won.

Mr. that boy couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane.

My health is good enough about the shoulders.

No, even my players aren't players.

Now there's three things that can happen in a ballgame: you can win, you can lose, or it can rain.

Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Sure I played, did you think I was born at the age of 70 sitting in a dugout trying to manage guys like you?

That kid can hit balls over buildings.

The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.

The Mets are gonna be amazing.

The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.

The team has come along slow but fast.

The trick is growing up without growing old.

The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it.

The trouble with women umpires is that I couldn't argue with one. I'd put my arms around her and give her a little kiss.

The Yankees don't pay me to win every day, just two out of three.

There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them.

They got a lot of kids now whose uniforms are so tight, especially the pants, that they cannot bend over to pick up ground balls. And they don't want to bend over in

television games because in that way there is no way their face can get on the camera.

They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games.

They say Yogi Berra is funny. Well, he has a lovely wife and family, a beautiful home, money in the bank, and he plays golf with millionaires. What's funny about that?

They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the
mistake of being seventy again.

Two hundred million Americans, and there ain't two good catchers among 'em.
Wake up muscles we're in New York now.

We are in such a slump that even the ones that aren't drinkin' aren't hittin'.
Well, that's baseball. Rags to riches one day and riches to rags the next. But I've been in it thirty-six years and I'm used to it.

When you are younger you get blamed for crimes you never committed and when you're older you begin to get credit for virtues you never possessed. It evens itself
out.

You can't go out to the mound, hobbling and take a pitcher out with a cane.

You got to get twenty-seven outs to win.

You have to go broke three times to learn how to make a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. I won't lie about that!