Monday, August 13, 2007

Made In China

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketZhang Shuhong, who co-owned Lee Der Industrial Co. Ltd., killed himself at a warehouse over the weekend, days after China announced it had temporarily banned exports by the company, the Southern Metropolis Daily said.

Lee Der made 967,000 toys recalled earlier this month by Mattel Inc. because they were made with paint found to have excessive amounts of lead. The plastic preschool toys, sold under the Fisher-Price brand in the U.S., included the popular Big Bird, Elmo, Dora and Diego characters.

It was among the largest recalls in recent months involving Chinese products, which have come under fire for globally for containing potentially dangerous high levels of chemicals and toxins.

I wonder how many of us really look at a package to see its country of origin. Might be a good time to start, huh? "Made in China" takes on a whole new meaning these days.

2 comments:

  1. So many things to be aware of. Makes my head spin. It's okay if I miss something for myself, but when I have to be aware of three little innocents...the stakes get a little higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father always did...and taught us to do this..yet now a days I find it hard to find clothes made here...and the outsourcing is getting worse...it is very troublesome..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I won't lie about that!