Saturday, July 14, 2007

What To Eat?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketUnfortunately, my appetite has sure gotten the better of me this past week. Eating like I got a tip on a famine.

Last night, a friend stopped by really quickly, to drop off a dessert she thought I might like. Inside the package was this slice of chocolate cake, with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

Well, at least I thought it was cinnamon. A couple of moments later, my mouth told me that the cake was hot!. The cinnamon was actually cayenne pepper.

Huh? I like spicy-hot foods, don't get me wrong. But how come everything I eat lately needs to be served with Burn Ointment? And spicy-hot chocolate cake? Are we going a bit overboard now? Is this the future of American cuisine?

I thought about it this morning. All week I've been eating a lot of different stuff. I had some tamale pie, some Chinese, spaghetti and meatballs. I had Perogies, Italian wedding soup, and arroz con pollo. You know, by the amount of food I consumed this week, I could technically be considered a small family all by myself. But I looked at the variety on my menu the past week or two...

Not exactly American fare, now, was it?

I tried to think of the last time I had "American Food". I tried to think of something that is American food. Mac & Cheese maybe? Meatloaf? I'm pretty sure steaks and chops qualify, but help me out here. Who can tell me some foods that are uniquely American?

6 comments:

  1. Pork-chops, burgers, hot-dogs, mac n cheese, meatloaf and tuna casserole.

    BTW I was talking to Nancy on the phone and she said there was a wonderful AOL blog that you must be invited to. Any room for another fan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I did some googling, and here's a wikipedia site for ya': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_United_States

    They list all kinds of foods.

    And cayenne pepper on cake? What the crap?! That does NOT belong on chocolate cake.

    I have a low threshold for spicy foods. I can barely handle curry at a Thai restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Thank ya very much :)
    I'll have to go peruse it a little to prep for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. let's not forget pigs in a blanket, go get out them pillsbury bisquits and slap some cheese and hot dogs on there - you know you got me totally rehooked on them last year (or has it been longer than that now?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MM spicy chocolate. sounds really nice. You're so conventional Jimmy ;)

    American foods- sweet potatoes. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly- YES! I do remember those pigs in a blanket. I think it's been two years, actually. Blame me :)

    Tusk- I think my problem was that my mouth was expecting cinnamon, and freaked out when it was HOT instead. Cayenne pepper might not be the source I'd go with for spicing up a cake, though

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I won't lie about that!