Sunday, October 15, 2006

Back Up - Rehab Yayyy 4

So I mentioned a little more trouble for Old Stupid...

I thought I was doing pretty well. The legs were responding, I was getting some great range-of-motion results, the pain had pretty much let up, and things were looking up.

I'd gone to the wedding rehearsal and dinner on Wednesday evening. I almost half expected to be sore and stiff on Thursday because I hadn't ridden in a car for that length of time for quite a while.

Sore and stiff would have been welcome, believe me.

I woke up Thursday morning. Couldn't get out of bed. Couldn't walk. What I could manage to do was panic. I had my goal set months ago: walk down that aisle at my brother's wedding without being mistaken for Frankenstein. (at least not because of my gait- gotta work on the looks, lol)

I was absolutely unable to walk. As luck would have it, I did have a doctor's appointment set up that very day, to get my assessment. I also had a therapy session set up. I made the Doc appointment through the grace of God.

Doc took a look at me, and said "What the hell happened to you now?"

I gave him the details. Next thing, up on the table, Xrays, blah blah. Diagnosis: HNP L4 L5.

LOL, I didn't quite understand it either. Translation: herniated disc in the lower back, specifically the Lumbar spine.

Hmm, whatever. That's doc talk. Can I walk?

That's where the Physical Therapist came in. Stretches, electro-stim, ice and rest. Stretches almost feel good when you're hurting like that. Ice...God bless ICE! Electro-stim: designed to make you scream and cry ordinarily, but in time of need, yayyy! It works a lot.

My goal was now "make it through Friday...deal with life on Saturday". Sounded like a plan.

And that is how it worked out. I walked the aisle, both ways, and survived. Only managed 1 semi-dance with my 7 year old daughter, and pretty much took in the reception from the sidelines.

BUT!

I made the wedding, and achieved my goals.

Happy Stupid.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...the things you'll do for family. Glad to see you made your goal! I forget--what the hell did you do to be in this "predicament" anyway???

    Annie =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:46 PM

    Glad you were able to walk down the aisle.Am smiling at you dancing with your little daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M SO PROUD LIPPY! I know how bad you've wanted this, I don't think it could be any more obvious. I'm glad you were able to walk and I admire your strenth. You set a goal and you made it!

    Huuugs
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I won't lie about that!